The Junior Section Management can be contacted at email@example.com
Tennis is great for kids and it is a great family sport. It is a sport that can be played at any age and ability, and it is a sport for life. We would like to encourage more and more children to get actively involved in this great sport. Our aims are simple;
- Introduce children to tennis
- Develop their tennis skills
- Provide a fun environment for learning
- Provide plenty of opportunity for competitive and social play throughout the year.
At present there are approximately 180 junior members enjoying the great facilities. Membership at Portmarnock Tennis Club includes;
- Free use of the courts throughout the year
- Access to our comprehensive coaching program
- Nifty Nines tennis on every Saturday mornings for 5 to 10year olds free of charge.
- Access to the Junior Ladder, which is a structured tennis match programme for kids free of charge.
- Various fun competitions throughout the year
Derek Boland is the head coach at our club. He along with his team of coaches provides a wide range of junior coaching classes and squads during the school term. Junior coaching classes run throughout the week. See the Coaching page for further details.
Andy also provides camps during the school holidays. We notify our members of these camps through email and advertisements in Andy’s shop window.
We run several tournaments throughout the year. This helps to encourage the children’s love of the sport. We provide a fun environment in which the children can make new friends and learn about healthy competition and fair play. The following is a list of those tournaments:
- We have an Annual club day early each summer. This is usually held on the June bank holiday weekend. It consists of a 1-day tournament for all age groups. Last year we had 80 kids who took part in this event.
- In August we hold the Junior Club Championships. This is the major singles event held for junior members each year. We intend to run the competition over a 1-week period.
- A Halloween Junior Competition.
- The annual Parent and Child event is a fun event in which parents enter the competition with their kids playing doubles.This is usually held toward the end of the year in early December.
In addition we are involved in competitions outside of our own club. This is a great way for our kids to progress more and get further enjoyment from the sport. The following is a list of these competitions.
- Fingal Orange ball events. These are geared towards the 6 to 9 year old beginners. There is coaching and match play provided at these events. Each year there are approximately 7 of these events held throughout the year.
- Stars and Stripes competition is a pre-cursor to league. It is a great way to introduce kids to competitive tennis, and playing tennis at other clubs. It runs twice a year for 5 to 6 weeks for each age group.
- Junior League – As the kids progress they can be selected to play league. We enter teams into the Leinster tennis league.
And of course the courts are always there for you to play, and there is no fee for members.